[Accessibleweb] Seeking volunteers to have their websites reviews for accessibility

Terrill Thompson tft at uw.edu
Thu Jun 15 14:26:39 PDT 2023

Hi All,

Many of you are probably familiar with DO-IT Summer Study, but if not, it's
a program that helps prepare Washington State high school students with
disabilities for success in college and careers. Participants have been
coming to the UW campus every summer since 1993 (although it's been an
online program in recent years due to the pandemic). There's more about
the program on the DO-IT Scholars
<https://www.washington.edu/doit/programs/do-it-scholars/overview> website.

This year, participants (called "Scholars") will be returning to campus,
and one of the features of the program is a two-week web accessibility
class, where they will learn the basics of how to check websites for
accessibility and report their findings.

We're seeking volunteers from the UW to serve as "clients" during the
second week. Scholars will have an opportunity to practice what they
learned in the first week by conducting an accessibility review of clients'
websites, and sharing their findings. Here are some additional details
about what we're looking for:

- Volunteers can either be an individual or a team, representing a UW
department.
- The department's website should be fairly simple, not a complex
dynamic web application.
- At least one representative should be available on *Monday July 24,
2:00 - 3:00pm*, to meet the Scholars and introduce them to your website.
Scholars will review up to 5 pages from your site.
- At least one representative (ideally the same person, but not
required) should be available on *Thursday July 27, 1:30 - 3:00pm*, to
receive the results of the Scholars' accessibility review.

If we get an overwhelming response, we will need to be selective (sorry if
your site is not chosen). However, *anyone who volunteers will also get a
free web accessibility consult from our team of web accessibility experts*.

If you're interested, please reply to me directly. Also, feel free to
spread the word if you know others who might be interested.

Thanks!
Terrill
---
Terrill Thompson (he/him)