[Accessibleweb] Monthly Web Accessibility/Usability Meet-up,
Thu 2/9/23 at 10 AM PT
hadir at uw.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:52:20 PST 2023
It is almost time for our monthly Web Accessibility/Usability Meet-up!
Please join us for another casual and friendly virtual meeting to discuss some accessibility challenges.
Topic 1: Accessibility of DataWrapper
IHME, Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, uses a tool called DataWrapper to input raw data and output interactive graphs for the website. The bar graphs (see this page<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.healthdata.org/acting-data/among-superbugs-mrsa-forefront-antimicrobial-resistance__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!lmSf--h0O8TcL7b3cazKoS8oOcPAQ-xDe4VXk0aJ3Zo6iOXP-brSPWWyY0fZU4bAZFL3h74cO2c$> for an example) are not accessible, but DataWrapper has an option to produce tables. Here are some examples of different visualizations using IHME data. Each one uses a different data set.
* map: https://www.datawrapper.de/_/0rg2J/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.datawrapper.de/_/0rg2J/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mvzpZ_W_iKrQIjS24eXN5F23eeOqkGYUHDkrrUttq-fJyso4KPp295erucnfo-dN_U1L_N2rtQ$>
* table: https://www.datawrapper.de/_/1sIx8/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.datawrapper.de/_/1sIx8/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mvzpZ_W_iKrQIjS24eXN5F23eeOqkGYUHDkrrUttq-fJyso4KPp295erucnfo-dN_U2dpSgtWg$>
* pie chart: https://www.datawrapper.de/_/abiUO/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.datawrapper.de/_/abiUO/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mvzpZ_W_iKrQIjS24eXN5F23eeOqkGYUHDkrrUttq-fJyso4KPp295erucnfo-dN_U3Xll8zbw$>
Here are some additional examples using one sample data set:
* Table: https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/uYAJY/3/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datawrapper.dwcdn.net/uYAJY/3/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mvzpZ_W_iKrQIjS24eXN5F23eeOqkGYUHDkrrUttq-fJyso4KPp295erucnfo-dN_U3_xdt6ZA$>
* Bar chart: https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/LF6HI/1/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datawrapper.dwcdn.net/LF6HI/1/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mvzpZ_W_iKrQIjS24eXN5F23eeOqkGYUHDkrrUttq-fJyso4KPp295erucnfo-dN_U2ChFNwZA$>
* Line graph: https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/iNY9i/1/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datawrapper.dwcdn.net/iNY9i/1/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!mvzpZ_W_iKrQIjS24eXN5F23eeOqkGYUHDkrrUttq-fJyso4KPp295erucnfo-dN_U03GNiRFg$>
Topic 2: Accessibility of Mural template selection
Mural is using a radio group embedded in a grid for their template sections. We are evaluating this approach for accessibility and would like to get your feedback on this technique. You can explore this by creating a free Mural account at mural.co, navigating to the dashboard, and clicking on the "New Mural" button on the left of the screen. When you click on this button, the modal that appears is the template selection, which uses a grid. We are going to discuss the best way to navigate through the grid and select a template.
* What: Monthly Web Accessibility/Usability Meetup
* When: February 9, 2023 10-11 AM PT
* Where: https://washington.zoom.us/my/hadirangin<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/washington.zoom.us/my/hadirangin__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gdUacz7z25Z6q3TcHpbU_5VxT0Dj3TbFSnH4nmVTnliqrCBNeoNHRIr4xPzDNw_iZPI8C5woLA$>
* Meeting ID: 206 221 1532
About Monthly Web Accessibility/Usability Meet-up
Our meetings usually consist of two 30 minute segments. The first 30 minutes of our meetings are dedicated to casually reviewing your projects. This generally includes lots of hands on testing and code review. If you are working on a project and would like to get accessibility feedback from your peers, please let us know and we will add it to the agenda. We always encourage you to bring your own sites and topics, as it is a great learning experience for everyone.
Then for the last half of the meeting we have some topics we would like to bring to you to discuss, although we may not have time to cover all of them in depth.
How to Join the Mailing List
We send our announcements typically a week prior to the meetup through various internal mailing lists, including the accessibleweb mailing list - which is open to the public. Please subscribe to that list to receive the announcements if you haven't already done it yet. You can do so by accessing this link:
Thanks and looking forward to talking to you,
IT Accessibility Specialist
Access Technology Center/ATS/UW-IT
hadir at uw.edu<mailto:hadir at uw.edu>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Accessibleweb