[Amath-seminars] First Boeing Seminar: Lexing Ying

Samuel Van Fleet svfleet at uw.edu
Fri Sep 30 12:12:58 PDT 2022

Hello Everyone,

Regarding the Boeing Seminar on October 6th, the title and abstract of
Professor Lexing Ying's talk are:

*Title: *Correcting Convexity Bias

*Abstract: *We consider the problem of estimating a function or functional
of an unknown input when only noisy observations of the input are
available. When the function is convex (or concave) near the unknown input,
the naive estimator often incurs a significant bias. We propose new
estimators based on bootstrap to reduce this convexity bias. Theoretical
analysis are conducted to show that the proposed methods can strictly
reduce the expected estimate error under mild conditions. They can serve as
off-the-shelf tools for a wide range of problems, including optimization
problems with random objective functions or constraints, functionals of
probability distributions such as the entropy and the Wasserstein distance,
and matrix functions such as inversion.

Best,

Sam Van Fleet

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:04 PM Tony Garcia <tonyg2 at uw.edu> wrote:

> Thank you! Don't worry about sending the link to the sign up sheet for

> this too :)

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:02 PM Samuel Van Fleet <svfleet at uw.edu> wrote:

>> Oh shoot! Yes I can do that.

>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 10:19 AM Tony Garcia <tonyg2 at uw.edu> wrote:

>>> Hi Sam,

>>> Thank you for sending this out! One thing I would say, however is that

>>> we need to make sure we include the talk's information (title & abstract) I

>>> wouldn't worry about the sign up sheet here.

>>> Would it be possible to follow up with the title and abstract of the

>>> talk?

>>> Thank you,

>>> Tony

>>> wrote: