[Amath-seminars] Reminder: Boeing Colloquium with Professor Michael Jordan from UC Berkeley

Lowell F. Thompson lfthomps at uw.edu
Wed Oct 4 10:39:22 PDT 2023

Hi all,

This is a reminder that our next Boeing Colloquium, presented by Professor
Michael Jordan of the University of California, Berkeley (
https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Faculty/Homepages/jordan.html) will be
held *tomorrow
Thursday, October 5 at 4:00pm in SMI 205*.

Title: An Alternative View on AI: Collaborative Learning, Incentives, and
Social Welfare

Abstract: Artificial intelligence (AI) has focused on a paradigm in which
intelligence
inheres in a single, autonomous agent. Social issues are entirely secondary
in this paradigm. When AI systems are deployed in social contexts, however,
the overall design of such systems is often naive---a centralized entity
provides
services to passive agents and reaps the rewards. Such a paradigm need not
be
the dominant paradigm for information technology. In a broader framing,
agents are
active, they are cooperative, and they wish to obtain value from their
participation
in learning-based systems. Agents may supply data and other resources to
the system,
only if it is in their interest to do so. Critically, intelligence inheres
as much
in the overall system as it does in individual agents, be they humans or
computers.
This is a perspective familiar in the social sciences, and a key theme in
my work
is that of bringing economics into contact with foundational issues in
computing
and data sciences. I'll emphasize some of the mathematical challenges that
arise
at this tripartite interface.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Lowell