[AMP-L] Father Who Lost Both Legs to Diabetes [Video]

Wayne Renardson wrenardson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 18:40:14 PDT 2022

via The Standard:

hen James Bartengus, a police constable in Elgeyo Marakwet, suffered
diabetes in April last year and had to undergo bilateral knee amputation,
he felt his life and career were all lost.

Mr Bartengus, 49, had to undergo amputation barely two months after
the diagnosis. His right foot was first amputated before his left leg two
weeks later.

At first, the father of nine was reluctant to undergo the amputation and
had chosen to brave the fight. But his legs got weaker every day and his
wounds would not heal.

Mr Bartengus has served in the National Police Service for more than 20
years. He finally gave in to his doctor´s advice and took the bold step to
the theatre, knowing he would never walk again.

"I could not believe I was once fit as a fiddle, but I could never walk
again. That I would be dependent on people for my survival hurt me the
most," recounts Mr Bartengus, adding that losing his legs was
traumatising.

The rest of the story, with photos & video, here:

https://tinyurl.com/y9ytd5rq

Wayne R.