[AMP-L] How Technology Helped Me Walk After Losing My Legs

Wayne Renardson wrenardson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 03:45:10 PDT 2022

via News Health UK:

After a devastating injury, bionic legs gave war veteran Harry Parker the
chance to be active, and sent his life in a new direction.

I remember almost everything about the morning I stepped on a bomb,
or at least it feels that way. I was later told I had stopped breathing four
times and I was certainly unconscious. It was 18 July 2009 and I had
been in Afghanistan for about two months serving as a captain in the
Rifles.

That day, I was on a foot patrol and, as I walked across a field returning
to camp, I stepped on an IED (improvised explosive device). I remember
being flipped over very quickly and landing face down in the dirt. It was
intensely painful, and I had a feeling of utter loneliness. I remember
shutting my eyes, gritting my teeth and just trying to stay alive.

A combat medicine technician was patrolling a few yards behind me
when it happened and I was immediately put into the "casevac chain"
(casualty evacuation): I was stretchered into a vehicle and transported to
a helicopter that flew me to Camp Bastion field hospital. I was
resuscitated a number of times during the helicopter flight.

The rest of the story, with photos, here:

https://tinyurl.com/ya9a5ne7

Wayne R.