[AMP-L] I Cut Off My Arm Last Year Was The Best Decision I've Ever Made

Wayne Renardson wayne.renardson at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 13:30:14 PST 2022

via Huffington Post:

My arm isn´t "missing" and I didn´t "lose" it. It was strategically
removed -- and I'm doing it again on Friday.

"Best decision I ever made" was what I said when I ingeniously used a
spatula to keep my shower curtain closed. I also say it every time I
buy a slice of pizza. And I always say it whenever I choose the color
pink. Now I look down at the short portion of my left arm that
remains after I had most of it removed and say it too. That´s right:
I had my left arm amputated several inches above the elbow nearly a
year ago today and it was the best decision I´ve ever made.

I spent six years living with an arm that had zero motor function
from the elbow to the fingertips after I was injured in a Vespa
accident. Picture one of those inflatable T. rex costumes: The person
wearing it knows the tail is there, but they keep knocking drinks
over and tripping people nonetheless. When you´re aware of something
but have absolutely no control over what it does, it´s time to Marie
Kondo it. I had no guarantee life would be better as an amputee than
it was with a paralyzed arm, but knew it was time to part with my arm
as it sparked no joy.

A terribly bright young woman [ed.]

The rest of the story, with photos, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2kgf29eq

Wayne R.