[AMP-L] Faces of Research: Meet Kinsey Herrin

Wayne Renardson wrenardson at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:18:31 PDT 2022

via Georgia Tech:

The Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Machines at Georgia Tech
supports and facilitates the operation of several core research facilities
on campus. This allows faculty, students, and collaborators to advance
the boundaries of robotics research.

This installment of the Faces of Research Q&A series is with Kinsey
Herrin

What is your field of expertise and why did you choose it?

I´m a prosthetist/orthotist and conduct research in the field of
prosthetics, orthotics/exoskeletons, and rehab robotics. Our goal is to
make it easier for people with mobility challenges to live more
independent lives by helping them move more easily in the real world.

The change we see through our technology sometimes is amazing -
people with amputations can go upstairs, step-over-step instead of stiff
legged, and kids with walking disabilities start to have more normal
walking patterns. As a kid, I always wanted to help people and this
profession is the perfect blend of medicine, science, and art - all things
that I love plus the added benefit of getting to be around some really
incredible people.

The rest of the story, with photo, here:

https://tinyurl.com/y54yzg99

Wayne R.