[AMP-L] What Doctors Don't Understand About Limb Loss

Wayne Renardson wrenardson at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:12:41 PDT 2022

via Amplitude:

Several years ago, I found myself sitting in the doctor´s office staring at
the wall, not sure of how to even begin the conversation. As an
above-knee amputee, I was struggling with chronic lower back pain,
some knee pain, and a sore and swollen ankle due to a fallen arch. The
physical nature of these complaints was difficult to manage, but it was
the emotional toll that hit the hardest. I felt weak, held back, stuck.

As I explained these frustrations to my doctor, I think he sensed my
sadness. In an attempt to lift my spirits, he explained, "These are very
common complaints. Your amputation is quite high. You´re doing so
much with what you have." At that moment, though, I didn´t want to
hear that I was doing well for what I have. I wanted an action plan to be
back at my prime.

The rest of the story, with photo, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2fj7xjke

Subscribe to Amplitude go here:

Free in the continental U.S. Otherwise, the 6 issues cost $64 USD/year
in Canada and $148 USD/year in other countries.

https://livingwithamplitude.com/subscribe/

Wayne R.