[AMP-L] Foot-operated Mouse For People With Upper Limb Disabilities

Wayne Renardson wayne.renardson at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 13:34:44 PDT 2022

via Markham Economist and Sun:

Young Markham inventor creates foot-operated mouse for people with
upper limb disabilities.

Invention inspired by Syrian amputee swim instructor combines
innovative tech and entrepreneurship.

Meihuan Yu was in Grade 10 at Markville Secondary School when she
came up with the idea of creating a foot-operated mouse for people
with upper limb disabilities.

While doing research for a history class project on how modern
technology helps with warfare relief, she came across the
inspirational story of Abdulvahed Naker. Naker is a Syrian
amputee-swim instructor who teaches swimming at the Hutva Education
Centre that is opened for amputee children affected by war in Idlib.

"What really stood out to me in this story was how quickly the
children with upper-limb amputations adapted to utilizing their lower
limbs to swim and gain extra agility. This inspired me to come up
with a crazy idea - what if a more efficient innovation, that swapped
the need for dexterity for foot movement, was created for disabled
students?" said Yu.

The rest of the story, with photo, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2jrf74cq

Wayne R.