[AMP-L] Man Helps Amputees Regain Their Mobility and Find Support

Wayne Renardson wayne.renardson at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 05:37:27 PDT 2022

via WNEM Michigan:

Scott Baranek of Saginaw lost his leg in 1994 in a motorcycle
accident, which forever changed his life. His plans of becoming a
teacher and coaching basketball quickly faded away.

After the accident, Baranek said he went through an array of feelings
and emotions, one of which was grief. After going through the process
of getting his prosthetic leg and reflecting on his life, he accepted
the fact that he was now an amputee.

"Sometimes you encounter certain events in your life where you
realize that things are going to change," Baranek said.

Realizing his new normal, Baranek made a shift in his plans and
decided to go back to school to become a physical therapist so he
could help other amputees. Unfortunately, he soon realized that he
wouldn´t necessarily be working with the people he had hoped to help.

"I was finding out that, you know, amputees are less than 1 percent
of the population. So, if I was working in physical therapy, I would
be doing more like backs and rotator cuff type things," Baranek said.

The rest of the story, with photo, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2djbauxj

Wayne R.