[AMP-L] Prosthetics Are Built for Disabled People But They Lack Inclusivity. [Video]

Wayne Renardson wayne.renardson at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 06:54:31 PDT 2022

via NBC News Think:

Amputees can't truly be comfortable in wearable technology if simple
things, such as having more sizes to choose from, aren't available.

Everyone gets angry about the lack of available clothing size
diversity, but at least there is such a thing as a size XXXS, 6x, and
everything in between and beyond - even if they aren´t always easy to
get. You can even get golf ball-size scrunchies to ones the size of
the 10-inch Magic 8 Ball (the giant one). But as an amputee, I can´t
seem to get a hand that matches the size of the one I have left.

After undergoing a transhumeral (above-elbow) amputation of my left
arm in December, I went in for my prosthetic fitting and was shown a
tiny hand that fit perfectly in the palm of my own, cute but no
cigar. The other choice was one that came in a whopping single size
choice - "adult-size" - and a shameful three-skin tone selection.

The rest of the story, with photos & video, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2pfjrtrw

Wayne R.