[athen] Subtitling DVD

Stewart, Ron ron.stewart at oregonstate.edu
Fri Feb 11 13:20:02 PST 2005

We have just finished the development stages of a DVD subtitling
program, as the final component of our captioning center. We are doing
everything on a G5 mac and using the Apple Production Suite. most the
work is being done with the DVD Pro software. Should have our docs done
in a couple of weeks and are more that willing to share.

One thing we have noticed is, and it is a know bug with apple that on
longer DVD captures the audio and subtitles get out of sync. It is
caused by a difference in capture rate (30fps vs 29.97fps) between the
different software components, but if you break the DVD capture up into
smaller segments and make a small timeline adjustment it fixes the
problem.

On the windows side we are using Uleads DVD studio but find that the Mac
stuff works so much better.

Ron