[athen] Scanning HELP!

Berkowitz, Daniel J djbrky at bu.edu
Thu Jan 27 08:20:31 PST 2005

HELP - and I mean it - big time! Help as in please somebody phone me
instead of posting to the list kinda help!

Here is the scoop - we have developed a good relationship with the local
Kinko's for scanning and basic eText production. They have been great
about working with in the creation of accessible .pdf files and they
have till now done a good job at basic (raw) .doc/.rtf scans.

However - over the holidays their main system crashed and they lost the
software they had been using. Apparently it was an in-house modified
version of something from Datec (?). It was a few years old and was
fantastic. Fast, accurate, and user friendly. It is not only wiped from
the system it was on - but no one at Kinko's knows where to find the
original software or a replacement.

The Corporate Kinko's has installed OmniPage 12 and they are in the
process of learning how to use it. I KNOW that someone on this list has
advice for me. Kinko's is open tot the idea of something better than
OmniPage 12 and my office willing to work with Kinko's to procure what
they need and learn how to use it.

I also know this has all been discussed on the list but I have only
half-paid attention believing to be safe from problems because we have
contracted with an outside entity. Whip for this later - just help me
now!

Help me fellow Athen-Pros!

--Dann

PS - and before you ask --- I have developed a proposal to create an
in-house system and it has the support of my boss, etc. However it is
merely in the proposal stage at this point.

==================================
Daniel J. Berkowitz
Assistant Director
Boston University