[athen] Accessory mic for Telex FM units

Baker, Nick Nick.Baker at mso.umt.edu
Thu May 19 08:32:25 PDT 2005

ATHEN folks,

We'd like to enable our students who use Telex FM ALDs to hear questions
asked by students and other classroom interactions by providing a
hand-held microphone which can be aimed in the desired direction. The
mic would be plugged into the aux jack on the Telex TDR-4AA FM receiver
that receives the lecture.

I tried a generic microphone, but the level was too low. Though I could
put something together that will work, I wonder if Telex has an
accessory mic. I tried to find one on their web site, but was frustrated
by the lack of clear navigation--or maybe the info just isn't there.

So--does anyone have info on using a microphone with these older Telex
FM receivers? (The built-in mics are not directional enough and
introduce too much background noise.)

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Baker