[athen] RE: [DSSHE-L] software for physics

Stewart, Ron ron.stewart at oregonstate.edu
Thu Sep 22 08:05:45 PDT 2005

Sure, and I am going to send this to the group, with the staff churn
rates being what they are in DS this is good information, at least I
think so anyway. Our work is fairly well known within the postsecondary
AT community, and the AT vendors who tend not to like it because it is a
"native accessibility" effort. But let me get back to your question.
If you can not tell by now I am very passionate about this work, because
I see it changing lives!

We, is the Technology Access Program at Oregon State University. It is
me, a couple of full time staff members, a few of graduate assistants,
and more student workers than I care to get into. Our work for the last
ten years has been fully funded by Oregon State, and they have assured
me we will continue to be funded. The actual conversion work is done by
Alternative Format Production Services, a program area of TAP. We have
some collaborative partners in faculty members, folks with disabilities
who have been students at OSU, and any of you who want to come play in
the pool with us. The oversight of the WinTriangle project is
supervised by a GA, and is part of our R&D program, which is also doing
work on captioning systems, Daisy book production solutions, and other
geeky things.

WinTriangle is a self-voicing mathematical word processor that includes
all of the symbology necessary to access math, hard sciences you get the
idea. It is self-voicing through SAPI. Actually there is an open
source OCR product called INFTY that we are exploring currently that
greatly reduces the time necessary to convert symbolic content. It looks
like it is going to cut the process down. Three years ago it was taking
us around 1000 labor hours to do the conversion on an advanced math or
physics text, this quarter we are projecting between 100 - 200.

Is it perfect, does it eliminate the need to hand edit the content, no
but it sure makes it a lot faster. The student does have to learn
DotsPlus, if they intend to use Braille access, but this is a relatively
simple process of 10-15 hours for a competent Braille user. Otherwise
they will use it as an audio product, and then it only take 2-3 hours to
get the hand of it, and what quirks are left since it is an open source
beta kind of software. Want to learn more go to the website, do some
reading, play with the software and then ask more questions.

Ron