[Athen] AAP Textbook Lookup Service (I am sorry but I will be out of the office.)

Wayne Cocchi WCOCCHI at cscc.edu
Wed Aug 23 05:48:27 PDT 2006

Hello and thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry I can not respond to
you at this time. I will be out of the office August 21-25. During my
absence you may contact Nellie Nelson, Assistant Director, at 287-2571
or nnelson at cscc.edu, or Darla Van Horn, Offcie Assistant, at
614-287-2570 (V/TTY) and you will be directed to the appropriate staff.
Thank you and have a good day.

>>> athen 08/23/06 08:40 >>>

This is one of the first outgrowths of the cooperative work of the AAP
and
the AHEAD E-Text Solutions Group. I would like to thank all of those
who
have been involved in this effort, and look forward as we continue to
make
progress in this area.

Ron Stewart, Chair
AHEAD E-Text Solutions Group

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Ed McCoyd, 212-255-0200 ext. 264

Stacy Scarazzo, 202-220-4556

Publishers Launch Look-Up Service to Speed Delivery of Course Materials
Print-Disabled Students

Online Database to Ease Task of Post-secondary

Institutions' Disability Support Services

Washington, D.C. (August 22, 2006) -- Higher education publisher members
of
the Association of American Publishers (AAP) today launched a beta
version
of a Publisher Look-Up Service. The online search tool, found at
http://www.publisherlookup.org/, will enable Disabled Student Services
(DSS)
professionals who are seeking text materials in alternate formats for
print-disabled students to more easily contact publishers.

The Publisher Look-Up Service is a first step in AAP's Alternative
Formats
Solutions Initiative (AFSI), a national effort to identify ways to
provide
print-disabled post-secondary students with specially formatted course
materials on a timely basis. AFSI research showed that publishers could
make an immediate difference by launching the Publisher Look-Up Service,
while still exploring longer-term solutions.

"The Association of American Publishers heard repeatedly that DSS
professionals can have a tough time figuring out whom to contact at a
particular publishing house to request either an electronic format of a
textbook or permission to scan that book in order to produce e-text. In
response, AAP built the Publisher Look-Up Service, a Web site interface
help DSS professionals search for e-text and permissions contacts at
college
textbook publishing companies," said Ed McCoyd, AAP's director of
digital
policy.

DSS offices at post-secondary institutions can search by textbook
publisher
or publisher imprint to access general information about the publishing
company and appropriate contact information. Once provided with this
information, DSS offices typically work with publishers to acquire an
electronic version of a textbook to provide to print-disabled students.

"We believe the Look-Up Service is a step in the right direction.
Active
participation by publishers and DSS professionals will make this beta
launch
a success, enabling us to enhance and improve the Look-Up Service with
publisher-supplied data and user feedback. Our ultimate goal is to have
completely accurate, up-to-date information on the site for the spring
2007
semester," McCoyd said.

Publishers-AAP members and non-members-are encouraged to secure a login
from
AAP that enables them to directly upload, edit, and update company
information on the site. To request a login, write
highered at publishers.org.

About AAP's Alternative Formats Solutions Initiative (AFSI)

The Alternative Formats Solutions Initiative is a publisher-funded
research
project that involves colleges and universities, students, disabled
students
support services professionals, national and state disability advocacy
groups, and technology providers in an effort to create a national
framework
of specific, practical solutions. The AAP-led program, which began in
March
2006, is assessing problems faced by print-disabled students, including
delays in getting their materials or the inability to receive the proper
materials at all.

AAP members were active participants in a federal solution for students
in
grades K-12, supporting the development and passage of the Individuals
with
Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA) of 2004. Building on that
collaborative effort, the Association and its higher education
publishers
initiated their post-secondary efforts in April 2005 at a meeting of
stakeholders in Washington, D.C. In December 2005, AAP hosted a meeting
held by the Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD) with
publishers, college and university personnel, and other advocacy groups
gather input on how to move the process forward. At this meeting,
AHEAD's
E-text Solutions Group identified the Look-Up Service as a priority.

About the Association of American Publishers

The Association of American Publishers is the national trade association
of
the U.S. book publishing industry. AAP's more than 300 members include
most
of the major commercial book publishers in the United States, as well as
smaller and non-profit publishers, university presses and scholarly
societies. AAP members publish hardcover and paperback books in every
field, educational materials for the elementary, secondary,
postsecondary,
and professional markets, scholarly journals, computer software, and
electronic products and services.

If you or someone you know cannot fully access the information on this
page,
please contact Ed McCoyd at emccoyd at publishers.org and request a version
of
this release be provided in a preferred alternate format. Every effort
will
be made to accommodate your preference.

###