[athen] recording lectures via mp3 players for use on web

Berkowitz, Daniel J djbrky at bu.edu
Wed Feb 22 12:15:22 PST 2006

The TWiT Army Rocks!!
http://thisweekintech.com/

Anyone else out there a fan of BBC-4's "The IT Crowd"?
http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/I/itcrowd/

=========================
Daniel Berkowitz - Assistant Director
Boston University Office of Disability Services
19 Deerfield Street, 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215

(617) 353-3658 (office)
(617) 353-9646 (fax)
djbrky at bu.edu (eMail)
www.bu.edu/disability

athen at lists.oregonstate.edu

>Subject: RE: [athen] recording lectures via mp3 players for use on web

>I took a trip out to Halifax to see the Liberated Learning concept in

>action

>some time ago. The technology is promising but the cost is quite high.

>These were costs associated with licensing the software and support.

The

>local equipment costs are separate.

>SecurityNow podcast site is an excellent example of what can be done

with

>very little cost for lectures/events.

>I echo Dan's recommendation regarding the podcast and add my own

suggestion

>that we also listen to the "this week in tech" podcast. While more

amusing

>than informative, this podcast does have some excellent analysis.

>Please let me know if I can provide further information.

>Pratik

>Pratik Patel

>Director, CUNY Assistive Technology Services (CATS)

>The City University of New York

>T: 718-997-3775

>F: 718-997-5895

>E: pratik.patel at qc.cuny.edu

Cahill

>Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:52 AM

>To: Nick Ogrizovich III; athen at lists.oregonstate.edu

>Subject: Re: [athen] recording lectures via mp3 players for use on web

>Hi Nick;

>Check out Liberated Learning (www.liberatedlearning.com). It's based

at

>St. Mary's University in Nova Scotia. They are using IBM Products (Via

>Voice among others) to convert spoken lectures to digital format and

are

>willing to partner with other universities.

>I am quite concerned, along with many of you, about the accessibility

of

>podcasts. MIT is exploring the use of iTunes to distribute files of

>on-campus events, both audio and video. I am quite concerned about the

>lack of accessibility of the audio and video to deaf/hoh people as well

as

>concerned about the inaccessibility of iTunes itself as a program.

In

>addition, some iTunes files are of a proprietary format (AAC) that

cannot

>be played on other, more accessible podcasting software or players.

>An MIT professor, Jim Glass, is conducting research to convert audio

files