[Athen] FW: Slate.com starts "textcasting": podcasts of print content.

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at lycos.com
Wed May 17 13:01:58 PDT 2006

Colleagues,

Please see the following post. This is an interesting method of delivering
text content. Now Apple has a way to market to deaf and hard of hearing
individuals.

Pratik

_____

From: Xeni Jardin
Posted At: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:11 PM
Posted To: Boing Boing
Conversation: Slate.com starts "textcasting": podcasts of print content.
Subject: Slate.com starts "textcasting": podcasts of print content.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/boingboing/iBag?m=1409

Xeni Jardin: My friend and colleague Andy Bowers at Slate.com shares word
that Slate has launched a service they call "textcasting," starting with
their "Today's Papers" feature. A "textcast," Andy explains, is a podcast in
which the main thing being delivered to your iPod is text rather than audio.
You read the text on your iPod's screen. Snip:

[T]he iPod is not currently configured as a text reader, so we've done our
best to work around the device's limitations. (Here's hoping Apple will make
its cash cow more text-friendly in future releases.) That said, I've been
testing the TP textcast for several weeks now, and I find it very easy to
use. Plus, I love that Today's Papers just shows up in my iPod automatically
each day.

Here's a little more detail on how the textcast works: The text is actually
contained in a 15-minute audio file. (It's 15 minutes of silence, which is
how we make the file so small.) Play the file as you would any other
podcast, and then hit the iPod's center button two or three times until you
reach the description field, which contains the full TP text. You can scroll
through the text using the iPod's scroll wheel.

Link <http://www.slate.com/id/2141802/>

<http://feeds.feedburner.com/~a/boingboing/iBag?a=IH79mt>

Related...
<http://services.newsgator.com/subscriber/Related.aspx?relurl=http%3a%2f%2ff
eeds.feedburner.com%2fboingboing%2fiBag%3fm%3d1409>