[Athen] question about links - underlining

Berkowitz, Daniel J djbrky at bu.edu
Fri May 26 09:34:43 PDT 2006

For the formal, technical answer I will defer to folks such as Sean
Keegan - but from the perspective of someone who works with B/LV and has
done some web design work - the simple answer is that there are numerous
ways to differentiate text-links form the surrounding plain-text.

The standard underlined blue that changes to dull red is the default in
IE. When coding websites, developers can choose what colors they want
the links to be but those choices are usually overridden by the browser
settings.

In designing sites it is also possible to differentiate the links in
some other manner - by bolding them or changing the font. If it is the
ATHEN website you are referring to, the mouseover feature highlights and
underlines links on the page

Optional browsers, such as Firefox and Opera, have accessibility options
that allow the end-user to choose how links will be displayed and
handled. They can be personalized.

.

Daniel Berkowitz - Assistant Director
Boston University Office of Disability Services
19 Deerfield Street, 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215

(617) 353-3658 (office)
(617) 353-9646 (fax)