[Athen] iTunes and accessibility?

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Fri Nov 17 10:55:00 PST 2006

Colleagues,

As many of you know, iTunes U has become a popular platform at colleges for
the hosting and dissemination of multimedia content. However, the
accessibility of the iTunes U interface is limited at best and prevents the
full participation of students with disabilities at an institution.

Jon Gunderson and Hadi Rangin have put forth the concept of the
consortium/collaboration model as one method to assisting vendors with the
accessibility of their products. I am curious if anyone is interested in
pursuing a similar model for the iTunes U platform as it is currently
delivered to colleges. The adoption of iTunes U and questions about its
accessibility has been a heavily discussed item in two higher ed. system in
California and I would like to find out if other colleges/states are having
similar conversations surrounding the accessibility of the iTunes U delivery
mechanism.

My primary intent is to ask the question - is anyone else interested and
would like to communicate on this issue? If there is interest, then perhaps
we could follow the model that Jon and Hadi have identified as being the
most effective in working with vendors.

Any thoughts?

Take care,
sean

Sean Keegan
Web Accessibility Instructor
High Tech Center Training Unit of the California Community Colleges