[Athen] Help re Mac Accessibility

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 18:30:36 PST 2006

Norm,

When Apple first released voice-over, I was involved in the beta testing
process and then purchased a MAC for testing purposes. I would, by no
means, compare Voice Overto a Windows-based screen reader yet. Part of the
problem is that a lot of applications aren't designed with accessibility in
mind. Apple hopes that newly developed apps will work with the screen
reader. In fact, even Apple's favorite apps such as ITunes doesn't work
with its screen reader. I can only compare this situation with Microsoft's
early accessibility efforts--the major difference being that Apple has
decided to develop a fully-fledged screen reader as opposed to Microsoft's
approach. At this time, I would not expect a blind user to be able to be
productive with Voice Over. The screen reader does use some interesting
navigation techniques. It's a different model. I've not yet had a chance
to try bootcamp. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Apple speech synth voice and
new updates to the screen reader in Leopard--the OS scheduled to be released
sometime during Spring 2007.

If you have any other specific questions, I'm happy to answer them. I would
highly caution that anyone trying to consider purchasing a large amount of
MAC's, does not listen to the sales pitch. Apple marketing is excellent but
knows nothing about their accessibility features.

Pratik