[Athen] IT Accessibility Constituent Group @ EDUCAUSE

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:45:53 PDT 2007

Terry:

You deserve a medal! Now it is up to all of us to find out how we get
involved and actively support this activity.
Norm

At 02:45 PM 4/25/2007, you wrote:

>Colleagues,

>I am writing to announce the formation of the EDUCAUSE Constituent Group on

>Information Technology (IT) Accessibility. This group provides an

>opportunity for higher education accessible technology professionals to have

>a voice within the larger higher education IT realm. EDUCAUSE is the

>leading association related to higher education technology, whose stated

>mission is "to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of

>information technology." The current membership comprises 16,500 active

>members representing over 2,100 colleges, universities, and educational

>organizations, including 200 corporations.

>As a constituent group, we will have an opportunity to openly discuss the

>important accessibility-related issues that we face, much as we already do

>on the ATHEN list, but within a venue that will include a broader audience

>of EDUCAUSE members, including faculty and staff who are using, developing,

>purchasing, administering, and influencing the direction of technology in

>higher education.

>As documented in the group's formal description, "The IT Accessibility

>Constituent Group will help the EDUCAUSE community to assess the scope of

>issues of universal IT accessibility, to identify resources and initiatives,

>to develop best practices on policy and assistive program and service

>development, and in general to focus on how to approach campus-wide

>universal access of information by engaging in dialogue across boundaries

>within and beyond the campus environment."

>The Constituent Group has been widely announced in various key places

>throughout the EDUCAUSE website, and upcoming announcements are planned for

>the EDUCAUSE News blog and the EDUCAUSE Online monthly e-newsletter, which

>has over 11,000 subscribers. This is a superb opportunity to expand the

>scope of participation in accessibility discussions beyond our narrow niche.

>Please take a moment to subscribe to the IT Accessibility Constituent Group

>discussion list, and help to get the conversation started:

>http://www.educause.edu/groups/itaccess

>Thanks!

>Terry

>Terry Thompson

>DO-IT, University of Washington

>tft at u.washington.edu

>206/221-4168

Webinar Series on Accessible Powerpoint starting April 19
http//easi.cc/clinic.htm

May Courses
Barrier-free Information Technology (4-week online course starting May 7)
http//easi.cc/workshop.htm
Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Content (4-week online course
starting May 7)
http//easi.cc/workshop.htm

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (http//easi.cc)