[Athen] javascript help

John Foliot - Stanford Online Accessibility Program jfoliot at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:52:33 PST 2007

Kilcommons,Cath wrote:

> Hi Stacy,

> Have you seen http://www.webaim.org/techniques/javascript/summary.php?

> This article also makes some very good points:

> http://www.accessiblecontent.com/online/v1n2/index.php?view=toc.

> With the use of the libraries, I wonder if they are moving towards

> AJAX? John Foliot has compiled some really good references on AJAX at

> http://soap.stanford.edu/show.php?contentid=65.

> We always emphasize that the JS must degrade gracefully, and should

> be the icing on the cake. I also have a handout from one of our

> Professional Development Institute that I will try to get a copy of

> for you.

I can also add that for the most part the Yahoo! JavaScript libraries
[http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/] are "pretty good". I know and meet with
the accessibility folks there on a semi-regular basis, and they test all of
their scripts for access issues prior to releasing them for public
consumption. As always, your mileage may vary, and not every JS function
will be 100% accessible, but Yahoo! have a strong commitment to accessible
development, and accessibility in general (<scoop> watch for some new Yahoo!
Messenger avatars to be released later this month</scoop>). Done properly
(i.e."progressive enhancement") you should be in pretty good shape.

If you are interested I can connect you with their team - contact me off
list and I will make the introductions.

Cheers!

JF
---