[Athen] Most accessible open source CMS

skeegan at htctu.net skeegan at htctu.net
Fri Feb 16 14:42:25 PST 2007

Hi E.A.,

> I am sure this has been discussed but with all the updates to open source

> CMS tools I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on which is the most

> accessible one?

Unfortunately, I have not played with Joomla is some time, so I cannot
comment on its accessibility support.

Drupal is what the ATHEN site uses (along with a specific theme) and
it is pretty good with respect to accessibility. At the time, there
were not many CMS platforms the ATHEN hosting provider would support,
so we went with Drupal and it has worked well. Plone
(http://plone.org) is another CMS that has done a lot of work with
respect to accessibility as well (I believe it was the first to
conform to the Section 508 standards). The biggest challenge that I
have had with these systems is not so much an accessibility issue with
the basic CMS platform itself, but the modules that you may need to
install to get additional features vary sometimes in accessibility
support.

I am encouraged by Moodle's direction for accessibility (particularly
for the 1.8 release) and the involvement of such a large number of
people working on accessibility alone. If everything the Moodle
Accessibility Specification for 1.8 gets addressed, then it *should*
be a very usable system with AT (...*should* being the operative word).

I don't have a real opinion as to which is the best for accessibility
as they all have strengths and weaknesses and it depends on what you
need the CMS to do. That being said, the platforms you mentioned tend
to be towards the top with respect to supporting accessibility.

take care,
sean