[Athen] reading subscripts & superscripts in JAWS

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Mon Jan 8 12:23:37 PST 2007

Hi Howard,

JAWS (and Window-Eyes and Supernova) will all read the math equations if you
export to HTML. Simply converting the items from MS Word's equation editor
to the MathType equation editor will not work inside MS Word.

I did a presentation on this (available at:
http://www.htctu.net/publications/conferences/caped2006/access_math.html).
If you select Print Preview in your browser, you will be able to see all my
notes for the presentation.

The short version is that you will need:
- to open your Word document with the equations
- go to MathType on the menu bar and choose Export to MathPage
- select the MathML radio button and then choose XHTML+MathML OR MathPlayer
(IE Behavior) from the drop-down list
- choose Export to run the process

My recommendation is to choose MathPlayer (IE Behavior) if you are going to
be accessing the document from the local computer (e.g. not uploaded to a
Web server). Also, you will need to download the MathPlayer plug-in from
the Design Science website
(http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/download.htm).

Then, with the screen-reader running, just open the specific Web page with
IE and listen to the math content.

Take care,
Sean
Sean Keegan
Web Accessibility Instructor
High Tech Center Training Unit of the California Community Colleges

_____