[Athen] FW: House Subcommittee Vote Could End Books for the Blind.

Kestrell kestrell at panix.com
Sat Jun 9 07:28:20 PDT 2007

Ron,

I have spoken to a number of people involved in special librariaries for the
blind, and all of them insist that their players, hardware as well as
software, must include DRM restrictions or the libraries will not be able to
get the cooperations of publishers in distributing their work. My impression
is that the state of the technology is dictated by the libraries' lawyers,
and that perspective dictates the design of the technology, the distribution
method, and everything else involved in the design and distribution of the
books and the players.

There are lots of blind readers who comprehend that this is not the most
efficient or most economically sound method for doing things, but those
dissenters seem tobe in the minority, or, at least, not on any of the
committees that make the decisions.

Ultimately, I find it sadly ironic that the same government which is taking
the NLS to task for insisting on the more expensive "special formats" is the
same government that has contributed so much to the arcane nature of the
copyright laws which have left the special libraries so paranoid about being
held accountable for any infringement that they feel compelled to go design
these special players (read the copyright declaration on any of these NLS or
RFBD or even Bookshare books and you will get an idea of how the format
dictates the player and the distribution method, and even the relationship
witht he consumer).

Alicia/Kestrell