[Athen] Student with Usher's Syndrome

Jean Salzer jeano at uwm.edu
Thu Mar 29 08:02:29 PDT 2007

Dawn,

Her best bet is Braille if she is already deaf. Yes on refreshable
Braille display OR and here's a huge plug for portability - BrailleNote.
I'm pretty sure HumanWare makes them. They are actually little
computers, about 5" x 8", allow for web browsing, email, word
processing, etc. etc. Software can allow for connection to a desktop for
test taking, or there are flash cards. The new ones also have GPS
tracking systems. Obviously in the pricey range, however, if she has VR
support, you and/or she should be able to talk the counselor into it.

Have a good one.