[Athen] EASI Webinar: The Future of E--books Is Here!

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:51:55 PDT 2007

The point of the Webinar is to outline the current state of NIMAS which is
the K-12 standard in the IDEA legislation. Of course, my personal interest
is more higher ed but I believe this event is monumental and needs
treatment. Also, An hour goes by quickly. If we hope to get into any
depth, 2 people is probably all we can cover.

I'd love to do a follow-up on how to expand this to higher ed.

ANY VOLUNTEERS????
At 07:27 AM 5/1/2007, you wrote:

> [...]

>>formats for students who are blind or print disabled. While the legislation

>>relates to K-12 students, we believe that the more that publishers are

>>creating accessible e-textbooks for K-12 that they will inevitably expand

>>to a broader audience. If not, there will be an outcry from K-12 students

>>as they transition into higher education wanting the same quality of

>>support for their studies. This will be like dropping a pebble into the

>>water. The wave will expand to include higher ed and the general

>>public. Learning about this dramatic e-book revolution is important for

>>all of us.

>>This presentation will focus on NIMAS, (National Instructional Materials

>>Accessibility Standard), the role of APH, (American Printinghouse for the

>>Dlind)

>>and the role of CAST, (Center for Applied Special Technology).

>>The National Instructional Materials Access Center (NIMAC) is a file

>>repository for core print textbooks and related instructional materials

>>required for

>>use by blind or other persons with print disabilities in elementary and

>>secondary schools in the U.S. and its territories. These National

>>Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard (NIMAS) source file sets can

>>be used to create specialized formats, such as braille, large print, audio,

>>or digital text. The NIMAC opened in December 2006.

>>CAST is the home of the NIMAS Development Center and the NIMAS Technical

>>Assistance Center, Cooperative agreements with the Office of Special

>>Education Programs, United States Department of Education.

>>While this Webinar is free, you need to register in advance to guarantee a

>>seat in the room. (Those who register, whether or not they attend, will

>>afterwards

>>receive a link to the recording. When you connect over the Internet to the

>>Webinar room, you can listen to the presenters and watch as supporting Web

>>pages are pushed to reinforce the presentation. The audience can also make

>>comments or ask questions either by using a mic to talk or by writing into

>>the room's text window.

>>To read more and register to reserve a seat and to get login information

>>for this free event, go to:

>><http://easi.cc/clinic.htm>http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

>>Look for other future Webinars on that page. We have several being

>>finalized and they should be on that page very soon.

>>The EASI month-long, online courses on accessible Information Technology

>>for May are:

>>Barrier-free Information Technology (4-week online course starting May 7)

>>http//easi.cc/workshop.htm

>>Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Content (4-week online course

>>starting May 7)

>>http//easi.cc/workshop.htm

>>Norman Coombs

>>CEO EASI

>>-----------------------

>>Check out EASI's New Synchronous Clinics:

Webinar Series on Accessible Powerpoint starting April 19
http//easi.cc/clinic.htm

May Courses
Barrier-free Information Technology (4-week online course starting May 7)
http//easi.cc/workshop.htm
Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Content (4-week online course
starting May 7)
http//easi.cc/workshop.htm

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (http//easi.cc)