[Athen] Advice for colleague in Ireland

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Thu May 24 07:06:54 PDT 2007

Hi Enda,

A partial reply to some of your questions. And I am speaking about my previous
college post, not the current one.

While Disability Resource Coordinator at South Mountain Community College
in Phoenix, AZ, I was able to establish a 3-way partnership. To establish
an assistive technology center for the campus, I wrote a 3-year plan for
the college capital budget. We secured a total of $70,000 in technology,
and my goal was to use ANYTHING that could go through open-portal access,
or at the very least, be open site license. The college district provided
the seed money in three layers --groundwork, build-up, and final phase. The
open portal design was not possible at this site because the college's server
software and multiple sites did not allow for it. We went for open site licenses
wherever possible. JAWS and WYNN WIZARD were installed with open site licenses
(really $$ but totally worth it!). Dragon Dictate, by the way, must reside
on individual computers, not on a server, although we managed to convince
the IT dept. to dedicate server space to store student voice files so those
students who did not have access to a computer off campus would have a place
to store their files. Part of the partnership included technology services
rolling our new equipment (hardware) and software into their 2-4-6 replacement
plan so DRS would not have to continually write budget proposals to replace
equipment & purchase license upgrades. New technology, however, was a different
critter! That we were to write into our budget ourselves! A third partner
in the mix turned out to come from the community --the City of Phoenix put
through a bond proposal which included a public library on the college campus.
My intention was to establish an assistive technology center housed in the
new library that the community residents would be able to take advantage
of. The City was to house the equipment and share the cost of training, maintenance
and upgrades.

That project got off the ground successfully. I will follow up with the new
DRS coordinator and see how he is working with it.

In my "new" position at Mesa College, we (DRS) are primarily responsible
for alt.text production, but are partnering with Media Services and our Center
for Teaching & Learning to do captioning of all kinds. We also have partnered
with various departments to showcase, use and maintain the licensing costs
of a variety of assistive technology, including an open site license for
READWRITE GOLD.

Hope this helps you with "ammunition" for your discussion with your upcoming
colleagues.

Blessings in abundance

Ms. Wink Harner
Manager