[Athen] Converting Math to Audio

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Mon Nov 12 16:18:08 PST 2007

Hello Dan. Use the MathType editor to put math into MS Word.
MathType is the most common math editor in the world, and most universities
have site licenses. If you need to buy it, the cost is something like $79
from Design Science, http://dessci.com.

>From the MathThype menu, press the "publish to math page" option, and select

MathML as the way to represent math. Then you get an XML page, which is
XHTML for text and MathML for the math.

Install the free MathPlayer plug-in (from Design Science) in Internet
Explorer 6 or 7, and use any common screen reader to read the XML page. The
Math is spoken. This is the only way I know to generate audio for math
except by using a human being.

Good luck.

_____