[Athen] Heard of the Index Braille products?

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 02:42:09 PST 2007

Please note that this is a personal opinion from a Braille reader.

This was a printer we used to recommend when the Index Basic D was first
released. It is one of the most light-weight, easy to configure devices on
the market. Some may find the speech accent for the configuration program a
bit off-putting. The noise levels are manageable with the acoustic cabinet.
The embosser definitely has some significant problem with paper feeding. My
concern with this particular model is the Braille quality. Single-sided
embossing is not a problem. When moving to double-sided (interpoint)
embossing, however, I found the quality to be less than stellar. No matter
how heavy a paper stock we used, the Braille was never as crisp as it should
have been. My opinion on the Braille quality seemed to be shared by quite a
few of our noncasual Braille readers. I noticed the same problem on all of
the models we placed on our campuses. Because of that problem, we switched
our recommendation to the Juliet Pro, which has similar features with a
slightly larger footprint and a similar price.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Pratik Patel

Director, IT Access. Director, PeopleTech.

The City University of New York