[Athen] remote CART transcription

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:57:48 PDT 2007

Hi ATHEN-ites and DSSHE-Landers,

Tons of questions for your great collective minds today!

How many of you out there are using off-site, remote CART transcription services
on your campuses? For those of you who are using this service, what are some
of the technology obstacles you have faced? How did you solve them? What
set up has worked the best? Any problems with internet firewalls? I'm looking
for specifics. We can use your great collective wisdom and apply to our set
up here to problem-solve/work out the technology.

There seems to be a number of services available, all of which use proprietary
software of some kind for their transcription delivery. Any advantages or
drawbacks to this? What sort of microphone set up works best? Corded? Wireless?
Bluetooth? Wireless FM? Conference (speaker) mic? Any objections/comments
from the instructors in terms of the kind of mic they use? What seems to
be the most convenient for them? For example, some of the services say the
instructor should use a cell phone for the broadcast mic, calling long distance
to the service. Some service providers say to use the hard-wired phone in
the classroom. Some say to use a bluetooth connected to the student's computer
(that would have to be some juiced up, mega-watt computer to be able to simultaneously
send audio & receive text!!). How about challenges brought up by your IT
depts? What has worked the best for you?

In terms of the technology itself, how does a remote CART service handle
discussion groups or class Q&A if the instructor has the mic clipped to his/her
lapel? How does the student who is Deaf or HoH ask/answer questions or interact
with the class? For onsite transcription, the provider types everything that
is said, including questions & discussion from among the other students.
Can the remote technology handle this? It is easy to see how this service
would benefit the college(s) and the students who are D or HoH in terms of
flexibility & convenience (and cost!). I want to make sure we look at the
student's perspective both as a receiver of information and as a participant
in the class.

Thanks in advance for all your collective wisdom, expertise and technical
guidance. As always, I am in your debt!

Blessings,

Wink
Ms. Wink Harner