[Athen] Microsoft Word versus Open Office

Terry Thompson tft at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:54:14 PDT 2007

> On the other hand, Word's pdf plugin does NOT do tagged PDF very well.

That actually hasn't been my experience. It depends to some extent on the
complexity of the document, but if the Word document uses Word's heading
styles effectively, and if the author knows about and takes the time to add
alternate text to images, all that information is exported into the
structure of the PDF and is accessible to supporting screen readers.