[Athen] Microsoft Word versus Open Office

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Wed Sep 12 15:09:05 PDT 2007

> It's screen reader access, particularly for Writer,

> isn't exactly stellar. At one time, it was absolutely

> out of reach.

I have not seen this yet pop-up on this list yet, but there is some
additional progress that may provide additional support to access in the
Open Office application. The short version is that IBM is contributing code
that is designed to support AT interactions with the Open Document Format.
It will be interesting to see what happens next and how functional the
technology proves to be with mainstream AT.

Article: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/091007-ibm-accessibility.html

I don't see the entire world suddenly moving away from MS Office anytime
soon, but I am all for improving the level of access to applications like
Open Office.

Take care,
Sean