[Athen] Digital pen for LD/HOH?

Kerri Hicks kerri.hicks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 11:31:35 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Gaeir Dietrich <gdietrich at htctu.net> wrote:

> I will be very interested to hear your students' actual experiences. What I

> have heard so far is that although these pens sound like a wonderful idea,

> they don't seem to work so well in practice. It is quite possible, however,

> that in those other cases there was a lack of understanding about how the

> technology actually works. Please keep us posted.

Hi Gaeir.

Here's a sample I did this afternoon. I listened to a recipe on
VideoJug, and took notes while the announcer was explaining the
procedure.

http://www.livescribe.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LDApp.woa/wa/MLSOverviewPage?sid=wt9QphffhpJV

Click on the arrow at the top right to expand the page to full-page.
You can listen to the entire thing all the way through, or you can
click on any point on the page and hear what was being said as that
text was being written.

It's not perfect, of course, but this is a real-world example of what
it does and puts out. Also, if you see text being written in two
places at once, it's because I had to go back and listen to the list
of spices -- I couldn't write that fast. I copied them while I was
listening to the pen repeat what they should be.

I'm going to get in touch with them and plead for the ability to
create custom inputs -- it has stereo mics you can plug into it, but
imagine if you could plug in an FM receiver, so students who are
hard-of-hearing will get direct signal not only to their hearing aids,
but to their pen as well!

Take care,
--Kerri