[Athen] Moving from the Computer to the Web to Alternative E-texts

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:27:08 PDT 2008

Making information technology accessible for people with disabilities is
working with a constant and rapid moving target. We have to stay nimble
and be ready to change our focus.
When I got into the field over 20 years ago, accessibility meant getting
effective access to the computer. Then, 15 years ago, the target became
providing meaningful access to the World Wide web. Neither of these have
gone away, but providing texts in a highly effective accessible electronic
format has now come to the forefront. Etexts have become much more common
for everyone with or without disabilities. Not only are there different
etext formats, but people often like to get audio books and listen on the
MP3 player while running or jogging.

But all these formats can be simpler than it may at first appear. A
well-constructed document in one format can usually be exported to other
formats without a lot of effort. (That is called repurposing a document.)

Creating and Repurposing more accessible documents is an online course
offered by EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information) in
September. It's for lessons are:

Norman Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
CEO EASI Equal Access to Software and Information
phone (949) 855-4852 (NOTE pacific time zone)
****READ ABOUT THE DICK BANKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP:
http://easi.cc/scholarship.htm