[Athen] Standards for Developing Accessible Software Applications?

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at msu.edu
Tue Aug 26 08:57:23 PDT 2008

I am working with a developer of antivirus software, who is interested
in increasing the accessibility of their UI. I am a screen reader user
myself, not a programmer. I can tell them about the pitfalls of using
nonstandard windows controls, advise them to adhere to standard windows
keyboard commands, etc. I'm wondering however, whether there are any
written guidelines which I could suggest that they study? There are any
number of similar standards out there for web developers, so I would
think that something similar should exist for developers of software
applications.

Thanks for any info,

Al Puzzuoli
Information Technologist
Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities 517-884-1915 120 Bessey
Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1033 http://www.rcpd.msu.edu
<http://www.rcpd.msu.edu/>