[Athen] Kurzweil 3000 question

Glen Avery Glen.Avery at houghton.edu
Tue Feb 5 08:16:40 PST 2008

Hello,

I am the technology support person for the Student Academic Services
here at Houghton College (Houghton, NY). I deal with the installation of
Kurzweil 3000/1000 on some of our students' laptops and am the general
guru for the SAS department.

Houghton College is in the process of evaluating its laptop program and
I need to find out what other institutions do in relation to K3000/1000
(assuming the other institutions don't have a laptop program). Can you
give me some feedback on the following issues:

1) Do you make K3000 (or K1000) accessible to students on workstations
located on campus?

2) Do you make either of those software packages available to students
who want the software installed on their personal computers (laptop or
desktop)? If so, how do you deal with the licenses for that situation --
and do you install the software or do you expect the students to install
the software?

3) Do you just provide information about the software and advise
students how they can purchase it from Kurzweil?

If you could respond as soon as possible, that would be much
appreciated.

Have a great day and take care.

Glen Avery

Technology Librarian