[Athen] Your support encouraged

Gauck, Sue sgauck at ivytech.edu
Thu Feb 7 10:23:47 PST 2008

Subject: AACRAO Legislative Alert: Congress Begins Reauthorization
Debate

AACRAO LEGISLATIVE ALERT: House will Start Debate on H.R. 4137, The Bill
to Reauthorize the Higher Education Act, THIS MORNING
AACRAO Members Are Urged to Contact The House Members with a Quick Phone
Call ASAP

A very brief call (or a quick email) from campus officials would be
extremely helpful in promoting better higher education policy. To the
extent that you agree with AACRAO's perspective-which is aligned with
the general position of other higher education groups-we encourage each
and every member to make a call to their HOUSE members with the
following basic message.

Support HR 4137 and the manager's amendment (amendment No. 1)
Oppose the Shuler amendment (No. 27) to create state-based unit-record
data systems.
Support the Danny Davis amendment (No. 7) to restore a more equitable
treatment of private student loans in bankruptcy. (Click here for
background information and AACRAO's letter of support.)
Support the two Tom Petri amendments (Nos. 4 & 5) to strengthen the
student loan system.
You can find your Representative's phone number by visiting the AACRAO
Congressional Connection site and clicking "Elected Officials." Feel
free to communicate your views on other amendments, but remember that
you are only calling to register your position, not to debate the merits
of it. The conversation will be fairly mechanical and dogmatic, so don't
be disappointed if there are no follow up questions: the staff are
simply tallying constituent views, which is why more calls are better.

Thank them for their attention and let them know you anxiously await
your representative's vote on the amendments. If you don't mind, please
send a quick note to AACRAO to let us know that you called and who you
called.

We are pleased that the Rules Committee rejected the Gingrey amendment,
so there is no need to oppose that proposal.

American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520, Washington, D. C. 20036
202 293 9161