[Athen] FW: [OpenCast] [Fwd: Re: iTunes U and accessibility]

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Mon Feb 11 15:42:52 PST 2008

> a colleague from Apple pointed out that for the Windows version of

> iTunes there is a JAWS plug-in.

> http://www.tandt-consultancy.com/j-tunes.html

I have not had a chance to play with this version of J-Tunes, but will be
downloading and playing with the demo version soon.

While it is great that there is support for a screen-reader and iTunes, it
is important to note that this "accessibility support" is not built into
iTunes. Rather, accessibility is via scripting provided by a third-party
for which the user must pay. It only works for specific versions of JAWS
and iTunes. My question is what happens when one of those two specific
versions need to be upgraded - will the scripting still continue to work or
does the user now have to pay an upgrade fee in order to get back
functionality.

Don't get me wrong - if that is what people are happy with, then fine by me.
However, I have heard some various vendor representatives make general
comments about iTunes now being accessible on the Windows platform and I
think that is not quite the *whole* truth.

Take care,
Sean