[Athen] Hotel, accessible sleeping rooms & the ADA

Howard Kramer Howard.Kramer at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jan 18 12:29:03 PST 2008

Hello All:

Here's another question and it concerns the Millennium hotel which we use
for Accessing Higher Ground conference. We've been looking over their
accessible sleeping rooms. None of their rooms have roll-in showers, only
grab bars and shower seats. According to the hotel, they're ADA compliant
because they were grandfathered on the basis of the building being more than
50 years old. I'll check some other ADA resources on this but thought some
of you might be knowledgeable about this.

Is anyone aware of this "grandfather" stipulation? It would seem that not
having any roll-in shower rooms would be a significant barrier. Any feedback
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

Howard Kramer