[Athen] ABBYY Fine Reader 9 Problems

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:37:11 PST 2008

I would highly recommend that you use gray scale only as an option when you
need it. For most texts, you will find that the 300 or 400 DPI will
suffice. Because of the details included in the gray scale image files, the
large sizes are a common occurrence. Depending on the scanner you are
using, you can achieve similar results if you use the drop color feature.
FR9's new style processing for MS Word also creates larger file sizes. The
other suggestion is to use the scanner utility to scan images and then
process them in FR. I'm assuming here that you are using FR to scan as well
as to OCR. If you're not, it may just be that FR is retaining a lot more
gray scale info in the tif images it stores.

Hope this is useful.

Pratik