[Athen] EASI Plans for 2008-09

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 10:12:59 PDT 2008

EASI Plans for 2008-09

First, I want to thank you all for your encouragements for EASI to
continue. Yes we owe it to Dick Banks legacy. Below are a list of
Webinars. . . some single events and

some 4-part paid series. Several of the items are things currently being
planned. I am also grateful for some other ideas you folk have sent in
during the last few days. I

also appreciate all the offers of help. Planning and organizing takes
time, but before September I will have a rather full schedule of events for
the remainder of 2008 and

have some information on other activities I will be considering. Frankly,
I am still trying to clean up a number of loose ends so that I can start to
plan the future with a clean

plate.

Your support attending the public Webinars, registering for the 4-part
Webinar Series and your taking some of the online classes are crucial to
our survival. You are our

sole source of support.

Note the Webinar this Wednesday. You can access it at 2 PM Eastern from
http://easi.cc/entrance.htm

I promise you that we will have a full schedule in place by September.

For many of you, your memberships are coming near an end. I'll send you
individual reminders hopefully this week, and I hope you realize how much
you are helping

others besides getting a useful service for yourself.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
Here is the skeleton of what is on the Webinar page. You can get a fuller
description at:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

Webinar Snapshot: AMIS a Free Software DAISY Player
Wed. July 23 at 2 PM EASTERN
Presenter: Norm Coombs

August

Free Webinar on the Word-to-DAISY Add-in
Thursday August 7 at 2 PM Eastern
Presenter: George Kerscher from the DAISY Consortium

Understanding the New Look of Office 2007
Presenter Joel Isaac
This will be on a Saturday in mid to late August

September
Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) Version 2 Guidelines
September 11 at 2 PM Eastern Presenters: WAI staff and consultants

Attend a Virtual Conference on Accessible Distance Education
EASI Paid Series of 4 live Webinars Sept. 9, 16, 23, 30 at 2 PM
Presenter Norman Coombs, Ph.D. and EASI CEO
Week 1 Sept. 9: Overview of distance learning accessibility
Week 2 Sept. 16: Accessible distance learning is a three-legged stool
Week 3 Sept. 23: Designing simple, accessible content for distance education
Week 4 Sept. 30: More complex content: multimedia, science, math and graphics

Topics actively under final planning for Webinar 4-part Series
Tips on Buying Accessible Hardware and Software (Making Informed Decisions)
This will include tips on how to select the appropriate software for a
person
and how to make use of the VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template)

Using Web 2.0 to Enhance Web Accessibility
While the expanding interactive uses of the web have changed the
environment
so much that some have taken to calling it "Web 2.0". Many of these
interactive features put up new accessibility, many of these features
can be
used to improve accessibility. For one thing, it makes it possible for a
Web
page to query the application accessing it and then adjust the display for
maximum usability for that person.

Update on Advances in Math and Science Accessibility
Higher math and electronic scientific texts have been problems, but
there have
many people and several NSF grants working to change that. Recently this
work
has been bearing fruit. This series will explain the problems, the
solutions
and demonstrate the "how to" of using these solutions in education.

Learning Disabilities and Adaptive Technology
Part 1 Learning Disabilities - Adolescents and Adults
Part 2: K-12 through Transition: One Size Does Not Fit All
Part 3: LD and AT in Post-secondary Education
Part 4: The Matrix: Incorporating Universal Design for Learning in a
Post-secondary setting for Students with Learning Disabilities

We are looking for ideas for Webinars and we also would love to have
volunteers
to be presenters. We will provide a free annual Webinar membership to any such
volunteer.

Norman Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
CEO EASI Equal Access to Software and Information
phone (949) 855-4852 (NOTE pacific time zone)
****READ ABOUT THE DICK BANKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP:
http://easi.cc/scholarship.htm