[Athen] Jaws with Zoomtext in Vista

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at msu.edu
Fri Jul 25 15:43:25 PDT 2008

Hi Phillip,

We have ZoomText 9.1 and Jaws 9.0 installed on Windows Vista Business.
That image is deployed across 55 computers throughout our office. In my
experience, the two programs can coexist just fine on the same machine,
so long as you don't try to run them simultaneously. If you want to see
a rather spectacular system crash: launch ZoomText, launch Jaws, and
then exit Jaws.

Vista no longer utilizes video chaining as it was implemented in XP.
Now, there's the "Mirror driver", which many screen readers utilize in
order to access information being displayed. However, the Mirror driver
apparently doesn't support magnification, so ZoomText is undoubtedly
using an alternate API I'm not familiar with.

In short though, if you just want the two programs to be installed on
the same machine, you're fine; but, if you were hoping to run them
simultaneously, you might want to consider another solution such as
MAGic.

Al Puzzuoli

Michigan State University

Information Technologist
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1033