[Athen] JAWS and dual-boot MAC

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Thu Jun 12 11:37:58 PDT 2008

> Does anyone have experience with running JAWS on a dual-boot MAC?

Do you mean that you are running a virtual machine (like Parallels) or are
you using Boot Camp to boot into the Windows environment?

I have gotten JAWS 8 to run under Parallels on a dual-core Mac Pro with
NVidia GeForce 7300 graphics card. Have not tried it with JAWS 9 yet or any
other screen-readers lately. I believe there was a presentation at CSUN
where the developer had Window-Eyes 6 running in Parallels, but I do not
remember the details (it was the DoJo Javascript toolkit presentation). In
any case, I am planning to give this all another shot later this month.

JAWS throws up some error messages when you attempt to launch as it cannot
find anything regarding the DCM (display chain management), but after
clicking cancel it appears to function. I tried JAWS with various Windows
programs (Office, Web browser, etc) and it seemed to do all fine.

I always post the following caveat - while I was able to get JAWS to run in
the Parallels environment, it is not possible to do this unless you are
sighted. In other words, JAWS + Parallels does not equal access on a Mac
for a blind user! I realize you mentioned that this would be for testing
Web pages, but I have found the need to include this note as the
conversation ends up going down the path of ...but I heard that "X Screen
Reader" + Parallels/Windows on Mac hardware equals full accessibility (which
is absolutely not the case).

Take care,
Sean