[Athen] [Fwd: Dragon Naturally Speaking training problem]

Baker, Nick Nick.Baker at mso.umt.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:48:57 PDT 2008

Dawn--
Dragon recognizes phrases rather than individual words, so you
are right--pausing between words is not a good solution. I have
successfully trained Dragon users with some pretty heavy accents, so
unless there is something in particular about his speech that confuses
Dragon I think he will be able--with some work on his part--to get
Dragon to be useful for him. I tell students, "You and Dragon will need
to come to an agreement about how you will speak and how Dragon will
interpret your speech."
That said, here are some suggestions:
1. The less background noise, the easier it is for Dragon to
separate speech from junk, and a consistent dictating environment also
makes Dragon's job easier
2. Microphone placement, as described in the manual, is
critical, and again, consistency produces the best results.
3. Version 9 Professional is significantly better than V8
Professional.
4, I have had consistently good results with the microphone
included with the software, but you might try a higher quality
microphone.
5. The more computer memory you have, the better Dragon will
work.
6. Upgrading the computer sound card may help.
7. Higher processor speed (> 1.5 ghz) helps.
8. Laptops typically do not workas well a desktops.

Nick

Nick Baker
Assistive Technology Coordinator
nick.baker at umontana.edu