[Athen] Blind low-vision student needs to take physics class

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Mon Jun 30 11:05:07 PDT 2008

> We have a professor who wants this student to do independent work which

> includes measuring and testing. There might be some physics related

software.

> Any suggestions on what works? Types of Assistive technology we could get

> help the student?

Some quick thoughts off the top of my head:

- Have you seen the PIVoT project at the NCAM website? It is an online
interactive physics resource that was designed to be accessible. It is a
few years old, but (fortunately), basic physics has not changed much in the
past few years. URL: http://ncam.wgbh.org/webaccess/pivot/index.html

- Do you have access to the Audio Graphing Calculator? If studying
kinematics (displacement/velocity/acceleration), then the AGC may be an
option to consider when analyzing the relationship between these variables
(e.g., changes in the slope of curve when moving between
displacement/velocity/acceleration).

- Have you worked with MathTrax before? MathTrax is a graphing tool that
allows for physics simulations as well as plotting data. It was designed
for middle and high school physics, but has some additional components that
may be useful for your situation.

These are just some thoughts and may or may not be appropriate depending on
what the professor wants the student to learn or the measuring/testing
activities. The one upside with physics is that you can use a lot of
physical objects or tactile representations to demonstrate concepts.

Take care,

sean