[Athen] Voice recognition for Mac

Shelley Haven rmhaven at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 27 01:11:39 PDT 2008

Hi, Michael!

MacSpeech discontinued their iListen product in February. It's been
replaced with Dictate, a new product which is based on the Dragon
speech recognition engine (MacSpeech licensed it from Nuance).
Current iListen owners can "crossgrade" to Dictate at a reduced price
depending on when they purchased iListen -- see articles below for
details. (They're actually different articles though they look the
same at first glance.) Take note, Dictate only runs on Intel Macs.

http://www.macspeech.com/article_info.php?articles_id=288&osCsid=a9d639ddf7dfdc0b358589df81897dbd
http://www.macspeech.com/article_info.php?articles_id=289&osCsid=a9d639ddf7dfdc0b358589df81897dbd

I spoke to the MacSpeech folks a few weeks ago about availability.
They said they've been so inundated with requests that they decided
to fulfill crossgrade and pre-orders first, then ship to first-time
purchasers. MacMall appears to be the only place currently carrying
the product for orders.

Based on the initial reviews I've read and comments by a colleague
who tried it at Macworld, the accuracy seems to be on par with Dragon
but the user interface is different and there appear to be some
operational bugs with editing and moving the cursor reminiscent of
iListen's problems in this area. Here are two brief video demos of
Dictate in action -- well worth watching! -- and a third illustrating
an editing bug:
http://cerebreality.com/?p=121
http://cerebreality.com/?p=124
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yKEKRU3hE