[Athen] Athen Digest, Vol 34, Issue 7

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 10 14:39:29 PST 2008

Hey Athens,

For those of you that are wanting to build your hard drive space...Tiger direct has a 1.5T (SATA) hard drive on sale for $150. Of course, you'll want to buy 2 of them to build RAID 1 and back up all the work that you are doing.

What about that OCR software topic? I've only heard about ABBYY, which is what I'm currently using, but I've often wondered what I'm missing out on with Omnipage or another software package that I have yet to hear about. Is there a big difference....or any difference at all? Since I'm somewhat close to ABBYY headquarters (Fremont, CA), I have had them visit our offices to offer a little help here and there with tips/shortcuts that we didn't know about...and yes, they were pretty helpful.

As for storage space, I'm sharing a networked server with our graphics team which has 1.4T of shared space between us on a RAID 1. We have it connected on a 1G line and have realized that the Finereader documents save to the server as edits are made (NICE!!)...but don't leave that document open overnight (which my students have done) cause you risk losing all the information within the file. Oh yeah, and my graphics team has learned to hate me...I take up more space than they do!

Wish that I could have been at AHG with everyone...

Joshua Hori